Local fire investigators have determined that a blaze that consumed a home on McKinley Road last week was caused by a malfunction with the home's oil burner.
According to fire Capt. Michael Porter, fire investigators have ruled that the fire was "accidental in nature with a probable mechanical event with an oil-fired appliance."
At 8:25 a.m. Thursday, a sanitation worker aboard a trash truck who was making his usual rounds through the neighborhood reportedly noticed that dark smoke was coming from the home's windows and called 911.
By the time members of the Marblehead Fire Department arrived on scene, the fire was already spreading to the rest of the house, Porter said.
It took firefighters roughly two hours to completely extinguish the blaze, Porter said.
A member of the Swampscott Fire Department reportedly suffered minor injuries while fighting the fire, according to Swampscott Fire Chief Kevin Breen.