Today is Monday, Dec. 5, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be another unseasonably warm day in Marblehead. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be partly sunny, with a high near 57. Tonight should be cloudy, with a low around 49. (sunrise, 6:57 a.m.; high tide, 7:05 a.m.; low tide, 1:19 p.m.; sunset, 4:10 p.m.)
2. What a festive weekend! Marblehead Patch was on hand for the , and the . What a way to ring in the holiday season!
3. The town's Harbor and Waters Board will meet tonight at the Harbormaster's office on Ferry Lane. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m., is expected to feature an update on an upcoming on Stramski Way.
4. Work is expected to continue at the site of the on Pleasant Street today. According to a letter read at a Selectmen's meeting last week, the sidewalk lining the site may be temporarily impassable while a row steel beams are driven into the ground.
5. Today in history: On Dec. 5, 1848, the California Gold Rush began when US President James K. Polk announced that large amounts of gold had been discovered in California.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.