Today is Thursday, Dec. 27, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. You'll want to be prepared for some wet and windy weather today. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect rain and a daily high near 44. Tonight should be cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 28. (sunrise, 7:12 a.m.; high tide, 10:18 a.m.; sunset, 4:17 p.m.; low tide, 4:37 p.m.)
2. Looking for a good reason to cheer today? Marblehead High School's boys' varsity hockey team will hit the road today to take part in the annual Gloucester Times Holiday Hockey Tournament. The puck is scheduled to drop at 6 p.m. tonight, so if you're free consider attending.
3. Curbside collection of Christmas trees in Marblehead has begun. Remember to take off all the ornaments and trimmings. Trash collection is a day later than your usual schedule.
4. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay is looking for volunteer mentors and also accepts donations to support their programs. As a Big Brother or Big Sister, you spend time with a young person from the area for a few hours, a couple times each month. Here’s more on how to volunteer or donate.
5. Today in History: On Dec. 27, 1979, the Soviet Union invvaded the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.