Today is Friday, March 16, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. You'll want to bring an umbrella with you when you leave the house today. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect showers and thunderstorms and a high near 47. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. (sunrise, 6:53 a.m.; low tide, 12:07 p.m.; sunset, 6:51 p.m.; high tide, 7:18 p.m.)
2. We've got some great news for all of our readers who have a weakness for sweets. Two new businesses, will be opening on Washington Street near the Hooper Mansion, according to the real estate agent who was managing the properties.
3. Marblehead Patch will be holding office hours at on Pleasant Street this afternoon from 1 to 3 p.m. Editor Owen Boss and Advertising Manager Joe Mastrorio will be there to answer any Patch-related questions you may have. Come by and say hello.
4. Wondering what was going on at yesterday? Workers with a crane took down the building's trademark weather vane so that it can be either repaired or replaced. The old vane had become "a hazard", according to Abbot Hall's maintenance worker Steve Ware.
5. Today in History: On March 16, 1958, The Ford Motor Company produced its 50 millionth automobile, it was a Thunderbird.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.