.
News Alert
Missing Diver is 59-Year-Old Man

Eastern Yacht Club Fire Blamed on Electrical Malfunction

Quick work by area firefighters prevented a three-alarm fire from consuming the historic building early Friday morning.

Damage to the Eastern Yacht Club. Credit: Owen Boss.
Damage to the Eastern Yacht Club. Credit: Owen Boss.

An early-morning three-alarm fire that broke out at the Eastern Yacht Club in Marblehead Friday is being blamed on an electrical malfunction, a fire official said.

At 11:56 p.m., local police and fire units responded to a fire on the third floor of the 47 Foster St. yacht club, Fire Capt. Michael Porter said.

"Just getting the first lines up to the third floor was a monumental undertaking," Porter said, adding "they did a great job working through some difficult conditions."

Although the blaze was contained shortly before 2 a.m., Porter said fire apparatus from a handful of North Shore departments remained on scene until 5 a.m. 

Fire investigators later determined that a junction box leading to a chandelier on the second floor overheated and sparked the blaze.

Firefighters from Marblehead, Swampscott, Beverly, Nahant, Lynn, Lynnfield, Salem and Peabody assisted at the scene.

There were no reported injuries.

Marblehead Patch will continue to update this story as information is released.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »