Today is Wednesday, Jan. 9, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. Weather Watch: Heat wave! Mostly sunny, with a high near 48. Light west wind becoming southwest 9 to 14 mph in the morning. Sunrise: 7:12 a.m.; High Tide: 8:17 a.m. Low Tide: 2:43 p.m.; Sunset: 4:29 p.m.
2. Get That Tree Hauled Off: Curbside collection of Christmas trees ends Jan. 18 Remember to take off all the ornaments and trimmings. If you don't put it on the curb in time, you'll need to take it to the transfer station yourself.
3. Magicians in Action: Boys basketball is home against Beverly High this afternoon and evening. The varsity tips off in Big Blue's gym at 7 p.m., preceded by the JV at 5:30 p.m. and the freshman squad at 4 p.m.
4. Haley's Market Cafe Seeks License: At Wednesday night's Selectmen meeting, among the items is a bid for a common victualer license by Haley's Market Cafe's (which used to be The Rockhopper Cafe). 7 p.m. at Abbot Hall.
5. Today in History: On this day in 1884, New England Telephone & Telegraph put in the first battery-operated switchboard in Lexington.
Engage with your neighbors on Marblehead Patch: