Today is Wednesday, Dec. 19, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. Finally, a good chance of relief from all the rain. The National Weather Service calls for a slight chance of showers before 3 p.m. It should be partly sunny, with a high near 43. (sunrise, 7:09 a.m.; low tide, 9:35 a.m.; high tide, 3:53 p.m.; sunset, 4:12 p.m.)
2. The TV show Glee just finished its season. Take in some real-life show choirs tonight at the high school with a visit from the . 7 p.m. at the high school, 2 Humphrey St. $5 suggested donation. Proceeds go to the high school's music honor society.
3. Speaking of the high school, student writer Pierce Law has a note of calm about Friday's impending apocalypse.
4. The Board of Selectmen meets this morning. On the agenda: Votes on the "Trouble the Dog" program (it's about a dog named Trouble, not annoying dogs!) and the contract for the Abbot Hall tower. Scheduled for 11:40 a.m. at Abbot Hall, 188 Washington St.
5. Today in History: Charles Dickens published "A Christmas Carol" on this day in 1843.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.