Today is Wednesday, Jan. 2, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. Weather Watch: Increasing clouds, with a high near 30. West wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Low Tide: 8:06 a.m.; High Tide: 2:16 p.m.; Sunrise: 7:13 a.m.; Sunset: 4:22 p.m.
2. Public Meetings: The Old and Historic Districts Commission meets at 7 p.m. tonight at Abbot Hall. On the agenda are several proposed changes to 30 Pearl St. The agenda is attached to this post. The Recreation and Parks Commission also meets at 7 p.m., at the Community Center.
3. Magicians in Action: School's back in session and the high school's teams are back in competition. Today at 4 p.m. Danvers visits for an indoor track meet.
4. North Shore New Year's Baby: The region's first New Year's baby was Mirackle Fae, born at 2:26 a.m. North Shore Medical Center in Salem. Second was Kaia Camilla DeCastro, born at 5:44 a.m. New Year's Day at Beverly Hospital. Here's a photo of Kaia and her parents, who are from Gloucester.
5. Today in History: On this day in 2006, a coal mine in Sago, West Virginia exploded, killing 12 workers and critically injuring a 13th.
Engage with your neighbors on Marblehead Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Sign up for our daily newsletter and breaking news alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Share your thoughts on our community in a blog.
Editor's note: I've corrected the item about the North Shore's New Year's baby. Turns out Salem Hospital had an earlier birth than Beverly Hospital. I've also updated the headline.