Today is Friday, Dec. 21, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. Big weather on tap today. High near 50. Windy, with a southeast wind 26 to 36 mph becoming south 15 to 25 mph. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. (sunrise, 7:10 a.m.; low tide, 11:37 a.m.; sunset, 4:13 p.m.; high tide, 5:55 p.m.)
2. Girl Scout cookie sales have started. There'll be on sale on Sunday, from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at Brother's Deli at 41 Market St. in Lynn.
3. Marblehead High School's girls basketball varsity takes on Winthrop at home at 7 p.m. tonight.
4. Today is the solstice. That means after 6:12 a.m. our days will start getting longer (unless the world ends, of course.)
5. This Day in History: The Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock on this day in 1620.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.