Today is Tuesday, Oct. 2, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be a beautiful fall day in Marblehead. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be partly sunny, with a high near 71. Tonight should be cloudy, with a low around 59. (sunrise, 6:42 a.m.; low tide, 6:59 a.m.; high tide, 1:13 p.m.; sunset, 6:22 p.m.)
2. Want to take in a game? Marblehead High School's girls' varsity field hockey team will take on Swampscott this afternoon at Seaside Park. The game is scheduled to begin at 3:45 p.m., so consider stopping by to cheer them on against their bitter rivals.
3. Police have not yet identified the body reportedly discovered in the waters five miles East of Marblehead Monday afternoon. According to the US Coast Guard, state police officers are working to identify the victim. Click Here for our full story and stick with Marblehead Patch for updates throughout the day today.
4. The town's Recreation and Parks Commission will meet this afternoon at the Marblehead Community Center on Humphrey Street. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m., is expected to feature a discussion regarding a renovation project at a town-owned home on Stramski Way, according to the posted agenda.
5. Today in History: On Oct. 2, 1967, Thurgood Marshall was sworn in as the first African-American justice of the United States Supreme Court.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.