Today is Monday, Oct. 1, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be a beautiful fall day in Marblehead. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly sunny, with a high near 68. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 54. (sunrise, 6:41 a.m.; high tide, 12:35 p.m.; sunset, 6:24 p.m.; low tide, 6:45 p.m.)
2. Before we turn the page and begin October 2012, let's take a look back at our top stories of September, which was a very busy month in Marblehead. Click Here to read through some of the stories that made local headlines over the last 30 days.
3. The town's Design Review Board will meet this morning in the Selectmen's Meeting Room of Abbot Hall. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m., is expected to feature a discussion regarding a sign outside of Terry's Ice Cream on Atlantic Avenue, according to the posted agenda.
4. Looking for something to do this afternoon? Marblehead High School's varsity field hockey team will take on Swampscott this afternoon at Seaside Park. The match is scheduled to begin at 3:45 p.m., so consider stopping by to cheer them on.
5. Today in History: On Oct. 1, 1903, The Boston Americans played the Pittsburgh Pirates in the first game of the first World Series.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.