Today is Thursday, Dec. 20, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be another pleasant day in Marblehead. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly sunny, with a high near 42. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. (sunrise, 7:09 a.m.; low tide, 10:35 a.m.; sunset, 4:13 p.m.; high tide, 4:53 p.m.)
2. Former Newtown, Conn., Marblehead residents Cindy and Ross Schieffer, formerly of Newtown, Conn., have a drop box at their West Shore Drive home for residents interested in decorating a Snowflake for Sandy Hook. Click Here for all the details.
3. The Marblehead School Committee will meet tonight at the high school on Humphrey Street. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m., will be held in the school's library. Click Here for a look at the posted agenda.
4. Marblehead High School's swim team will take on the Salem Witches tonight at Salem State University. The meet is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., so consider stopping by to cheer them on.
5. Today in History: On Dec. 20, 1606, The Virginia Company loaded three ships with settlers and set sail to establish Jamestown, Va., the first permanent English settlement in the Americas
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.