Today is Tuesday, Dec. 18, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It'll be another rainy day in Marblehead. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect showers, and a high near 49. Tonight should be cloudy, with a low around 37. (sunrise, 7:08 .m.; low tide, 8:38 a.m.; high tide, 2:55 p.m.; sunset, 4:12 p.m.)
2. Have you considered what you would do with your last few hours in Marblehead? With the deadline for the Mayan Apocalypse fast approaching, we figured it couldn't hurt to be prepared. Click Here to let your neighbors know what you would do with your last day in town.
3. Marblehead High School's boys' varsity basketball team will host Saugus tonight at the high school on Humphrey Street. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m., so consider stopping by to cheer them on.
4. The Old and Historic Districts Commission will meet tonight in the Selectmen's Meeting Room of Abbot Hall. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., and is expected to feature a discussion regarding several proposed construction projects, according to the posted agenda.
5. Today in History: On Dec. 18, 1777, the United States celebrated its first Thanksgiving, making the recent victory by the Americans over General John Burgoyne in the Battle of Saratoga in October.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.