Marblehead's newest restaurant, Soall Bistro, opened its doors to customers for the first time Tuesday morning and sibling owners Mia Lunt and Tan Nguyen were eager to explain some of the Vietnamese restaurant's menu items.
The restaurant opened on Bessom Street in the former home of . A grand opening, Lunt said, will take place in the coming weeks.
The name, like the restaurant, is rooted in family. "Soall" is a combination of Lunt and Nguyen's mother's name, Soa, and the first letters of Lunt's sons' names, Logan and Liem.
Lunt said she and her brother, Tam, set out to fulfill their dream of opening a "casual place to share comfortable Vietnamese food from their childhood."
Although she said Vietnamese food will be the "staple" of the restaurant's menu, Lunt added that daily specials and guest chefs will keep customers on their toes.
"We will be offering Wi-Fi," Lunt said. "We want this to be a place that is very casual and very comfortable. A place where people can just come to hang out."
Hours: Monday to Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
What's on the menu? (Menu items subject to change)
- Chao Tom: Shrimp wrapped around sugar cane served with house dipping sauce.
- Vietnamese Egg Rolls: Minced pork, taro, shrimp, carrots, onions and noodles with house dipping sauce.
- Fresh Spring Rolls: Fresh rolls filled with vermicelli, lettuce, mint, cucumber, with peanut sauce (chicken or shrimp).
- Chicken Satay: Marinated in herbs and spcies, skewered served with peanut sauce.
- Banh Mi: Fresh baked French baguette served with roasted beef or chicken, pickled veggies, cucumber, cilantro and jalapenos.
- Vermicelli Bowls: Vermicelli with lettuce, bean sprouts, cucumber and mint, pickled veggies, peanuts and onion flakes.
- Vietnamese Fried Rice: Jasmine rice is stir fried with Asian sausage and fresh assorted vegetables (with beef, pork, egg rolls or tofu)
- Vegetarian Fried Rice: Jasmine rice is stir fried with assorted vegetables.
- Vegetarian Stir Fry: Fresh assorted Asian vegetables stir fried with a light garlic sauce served over Jasmine rice.
- Bo Luc Luc: Flame-seared beef served over salad with house special vinaigrette.
- Goi Tom: Shrimp salad with cabbage, carrots, mint & peanuts in traditional Vietnamese dressing.
- Pho Bo: Aromatic beef broth with rice noodles, sliced raw beef tenderloin, served with fresh herbs and a side of lime.
- Bo Kho: Vietnamese style spicy beef stew with carrots and onion served with French bread.
- Vegetarian Soup: Rice noodles, fresh tofu and assorted vegetables in vegetarian broth.
- Chicken Soup: Yellow noodles or rice noodles with roasted chicken, Chinese broccoli and fresh herbs.
- Curry Chicken Soup: Curry soup with chicken, carrots, sweet potato and taro served with vermicelli or French baguette.
- Brewed coffee
- Hot chocolate
- Cold brew coffee
- Vietnamese ice coffee
- Iced Americano
- Iced latte
- Iced mocha
- Assorted red wines
- Assorted white wines
- Golden Ale
- Seadog Wild Blueberry
- Dog Fish Head 60 Min
- Moo Thunder Cans
- May Flower IPA
- Pok Slap IPA
- Otter Creek Black IPA
- Arrogant Bastard Ale
- Dales Pale Ale
- Rouge-Dead Guy Ale
- Alagash Belgian White
- Whirlwind Witbitter
- Saison Dupont
- Lefthand Milk Stout
- Wells Banana Bread Beer
- Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
- Rouge-Shakespear Oatmeal Stout
- Big Bear Stout
- Wolavers Coffee Porter
- Ipswich Ale