The Flying Fork was poking around and saw a new food craze, Ramen burgers, was raising people from bed early in Brooklyn so they could wait in line at a market to order one.
The Fork couldn't stop thinking about it so we made one. A variation on the theme.
We gave ours a New England touch by topping it with lobster. DeMoulas is selling them now for $3.99 pound, and they cook them for you for free — plus the deli and fish market people at the Salem DeMoulas are a fun bunch.
- So, we boiled a package of Ramen
- Drained it and ran cold water over it and added a half packet of seasoning. Most people, at this point, put in half a whipped egg to bind the noodles. We were out of eggs so we improvised, using a little mayo for one bun — with a sprinkling of instant oatmeal; and a little hummus for the other bun. It did the job but probably not as well as an egg would have done.
- We put half the Ramen in a flat-bottom bowl and covered it with plastic wrap; then did the same with the remaining Ramen and put both bowls in the fridge and let them chill for half an hour, first pressing them into bun-like shapes.
- We put the Ramen buns, one at a time, in the frying pan with some hot olive oil and fried both sides and took them out, browned.
- We fried a burger
- We cut up a scallion and shelled a claw and a tail from a chicken lobster
- We put the burger on the first bun and shook some soy sauce on it
- We tossed on some scallions and lobster and cilantro and poured some sweet chili sauce on top
- We forgot the salt and pepper but would recommend it
3.5 forks on a scale of 4.
2. Weather Watch:
Tuesday's forecast calls for a chance of showers and possible thunderstorms with heavy rain and a high temperature of 75.
- Sunrise: 6:03 a.m.
- Low tide: 10:26 a.m.
- High tide: 4:48 p.m.
- Sunset: 7:25 p.m.
The High School will hold its fall parents/coach meeting on Aug. 28 at 6:30 p.m. in the theatre.
* The Flying Fork is a food column on Marblehead Patch and Swampscott Patch.