Okay, it's the New Year and we've indulged ourselves with laughter, food and spirits galore. Now we're very much into weekend football parties and even more food parties. Here's a great recipe to not only kick up the usual boring appetizers while also not feeling so guilty about your waistline afterwards.
Asparagus in a Blankie
What you'll need:
- 1 lb uncooked; chilled pizza dough
- 16-24 asparagus stalks, trimmed and steamed
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- about 4-5 oz havarti cheese, sliced
How you'll do it:
- Oven to 375 degrees
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, on a lightly floured surface w/ lightly floured hands, flatten the dough to about 1/4 inch thick (roughly 2 x 5")
- Make 8 bundles of asparagus, about 2 -3 stalks per; cut in half crosswise.
- Lay each asparagus bundle along side a piece of dough; cover w/ tomato then cheese and roll the dough; forming a blanket and end seam side down.
- Put on a baking sheet w/ paper or foil lightly brushed w/ olive oil.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes; until getting to room temp then bake about 20 minutes.
Speaking of appetizers, you have GOT to head to 5 Corners Kitchen for some absolutely decadent appys...My favorites are the soft shell crab and the mussels; honestly the best I've ever had and having lived in Baltimore for two years that is absolutely saying a lot. Don't just stop there however; 5 Corners boasts a terrific menu of melt in your mouth deliciousness that has got to be experienced over and over. I am so grateful that this new Marblehead gem has been unearthed.
Cheers and 'Appy' New Year to all!