5 Things You Need to Know Today: Oct. 22
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Marblehead.
Today is Monday, Oct. 22, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be a pleasant day in Marblehead. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be mostly sunny, with a high near 63. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 48. (sunrise, 7:05 a.m.; low tide, 11:20 a.m.; high tide, 5:42 a.m.; sunset, 5:49 p.m.)
2. Firefighters aboard the Beverly Fire Department's fire boat quickly extinguished a fire that broke out on a 21-foot fiberglass center-console vessel in Marblehead Harbor Sunday afternoon. Click Here for our full story, which includes photos of the blaze.
3. The Board of Selectmen will meet this afternoon in the Selectmen's Meeting Room of Abbot Hall. The meeting, scheduled to begin at 3 p.m., is expected to feature a discussion with a representative of the Salem-based Groom Construction Co. regarding landscaping and parking lot construction at Warwick Place, according to the posted agenda.
4. Marblehead High School's girls' varsity soccer team will take on Gloucester this afternoon at Piper Field. The game is scheduled to begin at 3:45 p.m., so consider stopping by to cheer them on!
5. Today in History: On Oct. 22, 1926, J. Gordon Whitehead sucker punched magician Harry Houdini in the stomach in Montreal - the attack was later related to his death from a burst appendix.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.