5 Things You Need to Know Today: Dec. 12
Here are the five things you need to know before you start your day in Marblehead.
Today is Monday, Dec. 12, and here are the five things you need to know:
1. It should be another beautiful day in Marblehead. The National Weather Service is predicting that local residents can expect it to be sunny, with a high near 46. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 36. (sunrise, 7:03 a.m.; high tide, 12 p.m.; sunset, 4:10 a.m.; low tide, 6:21 p.m.)
2. Village School sixth-grader and author Ilana Frost will sign copies of her book "Breathtaking" this afternoon at Wit and Whimsy Children's Bookstore. The signing is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. and proceeds from the event will benefit Heifer International.
3. Marblehead High School's boys' and girls' swim teams will square off against NEC rival Swampscott tomorrow at the Lynch Van otterloo YMCA. Swimmers hit the water at 4:30 p.m. This meet will kick off the winter swimming season.
4. The high school's girls' varsity basketball team will be kicking off their season tonight when they host the Danvers Falcons. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. and tickets are $5.
5. Today in history: On Dec. 12, 1636, the Massachusetts Bay Colony organized three militia regiments to defend the colony against the Pequot Indians. This organization is now recognized as the founding of the United States National Guard.
For more things going on in Marblehead today, check out our events calendar.